Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

GIRLY GIRL CARDS

So I find I have an addiction.  Rubber stamps.  I see these beautiful stamp images and inspiration over takes me.  I purchased a beautiful dress stamp, shoe stamp and purse stamp online.  This gives birth to my "Girly Girl" series.

I had just purchased a new Martha Stewart punch set, which creates a looped frame.  One punch for the straight edges and the other punch for the corners.

After a night of practicing, a big lesson learned:  Use the back side of the stamp to decide and gage the length of the edges.  Makes matching the corners much easier.  However, making the four edges meet perfectly to the corner punch takes practice.  Especially when you wish the frame to be large enough for the image inside yet small enough for the card design outside the frame.

Anyway, I was out window shopping and found a beautiful printed wrapping paper.  I then found the textured orange paper to match.

So, putting all the tools together I created the Girly Girl orange dress card.

I made a blue dress too, using the same designed printed wrapping paper, matched with a textured light blue paper.

The embossed stamped dress is hand painted and enhanced with a clear gem. above the bodice.  The image is centered on a black loop punched frame.  The two papers are cut to fit the card, and the seam is concealed with an orange ribbon.

I think this card speaks to our girly side.  It just sweet and innocent.

 

Still using the loop frame punches I created the Girly Shoe card.  During the same window shopping trip, I found the soft peach and beige stripped wrapping paper.

I had the hardest time finding a perfect match of peach card stock.  To this day, I find it hard to believe it can be so difficult to match specific colors.  Sometimes it can appear to be the easiest of colors to match, but you learn quickly, that which seems to be the easiest can be the hardest thing to do.

Side bar:  I purchase almost all my paper products from Scrapbook Island, (visit them in Facebook).  They have the biggest selection in solid and designed paper.  

So I used a trick of using clear vellum.  I cut the vellum a quarter inch shorter than the stripped paper.  It mutes the stripped paper, thus a perfect match is no longer an issue.

I matched the beige frame to the beige stripped.  The embossed stamp is hand painted in peach.  An offset  peach block panel adds color interest, and the card is finished with four square brads appearing to hold the vellum in place, and a pretty sheer peach bow.

For any woman who loves to shop for shoes, and like pretty girly shoes, a Girly Shoe card can hit the spot!


To round out the Girly Girl cards, there is the Purse card.

It's obvious I want to keep up my frame making skills, thus using the loop frame punch yet again.

Now, when I purchased the stamps online, I really didn't fully understand just how big the stamps are in real life.  You see 4" X 4" in black and white, and it doesn't seem that big.  You look at a ruler, and still it doesn't seem to be that big.  But when your card is only 5 1/2" wide, a 4" stamp is a monster.  Especially when you want to frame the image.  But I was able to make it work.

I hand paint the embossed stamp in a pale yellow.  In the cross hatch of the quilted purse I used yellow puff paint to add texture and interest.  

My only regret is, I wish I had used real boa fluff over the designed boa fluff.  I could have found an embellishment clasp as well.

I used a simple soft yellow polka dot ribbon to add more interest to the card.

It still seemed blah to me, so I added a little bling by adding three gems, offset, on either side of the ribbon.  I used a mix of clear and yellow gems.

In the end, the purse came out nice, but it's not my finest work.  The next time I use the stamp, I think I'll use the real boa fluff, and make the card smaller.  More square than rectangle.  Not so sure on the ribbon, and 86 the gems.  There'll be no need for the gems if I use the embellishment clasp.


No comments:

Post a Comment